I hear it often doing what I do. Well recently I have been hearing that duck eggs are actually better for your health and our bodies react entirely differently to duck eggs vs chicken eggs. This is a little hard to wrap my head around considering how similar they are. The eggs and the birds that lay them!
None the less here is the quick run down on why I feel duck eggs are better... also some other research to back it up!
1) Ducks are not regulated like chickens, and thus have not been genetically selected (this is different than GMO, this is Hybridization, taking preferable genes and breeding with other preferable genes)
2) Duck eggs are bigger... ok, that's just because I love me some eggs! The bigger the better I say! (naturally bigger of course!)
3) Duck Eggs are an Alkaline producing food, we all strive for an alkaline environment! However Chicken eggs are an acid food leaving your body more acid, just like most proteins... THAT'S AWESOME that duck eggs have this magic super power!
4) Duck Eggs have more Omega 3 fatty acids
5) Duck eggs have twice the nutritional value of a chicken egg and stay fresher longer due to their thicker shell .
This one is maybe subject to what you feed your chickens. Vibrant Farms Organic Grassfed Beef eggs have pretty thick shells if I do say so myself!
I hope this has inspired you to at least give duck eggs a try! You can find them at Top Market Meats if you are in the Waterloo Region area.
I will admit these are some common things that I found during my search, I have not fully vetted this information. I know personal friends who can only eat duck eggs, and I do know they make very fluffy ice cream!! I have a family member who loves his duck eggs and tells me all the benefits of them. But like I said I encourage you to find out the truth of these claims on your own! Try a few see how you feel, especially if you aren't someone who can regularly eat lots of eggs. This article sums it up nicely